Re: 2.6.38 kernel offered this morning, but not this afternoon?

2011-04-12 20:24, David Baron skrev:
I have noticed that while sources and common of 2.6.38 up to -3 are upgraded
normally in apt, the linux-image is not. The -2 and -3 packages are there but
the linux-image is not upgraded. I would have to manually install -3 and
optionally remove -1 (if it be safe to do so).

No, because the -3 package is not an upgraded version of the -2 package, it is a different package. For sources and common, you probably have some package that has an upgraded version for the -3 kernel.

If you have one of the "linux-image-2.6-XXX" (e.g., linux-image-2.6-amd64) packages installed, that package depends on the current 2.6.XX kernel, and an upgrade should therefore include installing the new package with the 2.6.38-3 kernel.

Automatic removal of kernel images is turned off by a line in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove. It was mentioned relatively recently on this mailing list.

/ johan