Re: Free PDF viewer that can search for text across line-breaks?

on 14:46 Sat 09 Apr, Joel Roth (joelz@pobox.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 05:22:04PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Arthur Marsh
> > <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net>wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any Free PDF viewer in Debian that works outside of GNOME/KDE that
> > > can both search for text across line breaks and allows copying of text from
> > > the PDF document to the clip-board?
> > >

> > Install pdfgrep and xclip. You can then do something like:
> >
> >   pdfgrep 'foo.*bar' baz.pdf | xclip
> >
> > Works for me.
>
> xclip! how is it I didn't know about you for so long?

Two shell scripts which have found their way to /usr/local/bin:

xp      # xclip paste
#!/bin/sh
# X clipboard paste
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
xclip -o

xc      # xclip copy
#!/bin/sh
# Xclip copy
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
xclip

Solves the vi/vim "how do I read in text" problem as well:

   :r !xp

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power