Re: obtaining copy of debian

on 16:16 Sun 10 Apr, owens@netptc.net (owens@netptc.net) wrote:

> I note that the OP of this thread has "dropped out" after the initial
> posting that set everyone scrambling.  I'm with Ron on this one--I
> think we have a troll

Trolls aren't entirely useless.

With archives and search engines, this becomes yet another target in the
search "how do I get/download/burn/install Debian from Windows".

As I noted in my initial response, the breadcrumbs to the Debian
installer from the homepage /are/ good.  What's a tad confusing is the
third stage at which one must identify their hardware.  The choice
between x86, ia64, and amd64 is a bit confusing.

Hrm.  A link from "processor architecture" to "how to determin my
system's processor type/architecture" page would be useful.

A quick search doesn't turn up a good guide, through the Debian
Installation Guide lists architectures, and the Debian FAQ identifies
these by chip type:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch02s01.html.en
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-compat.en.html#s-arches

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power