Re: tomboy, and mono dependencies in gnome?

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not check exact situation ...
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:35:15PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>> Why is tomboy in the default basic desktop when installed from the
>> netinstall CD?
>
> I assume so since "gnome" "Depends" on "tomboy (>= 1.2) | gnote".
> See it by:
> $ apt-cache show gnome|grep tomboy
>
>> And, more to the point, when I run synaptic and check on uninstalling
>> libmono-cor or whatever, it threatens to uninstall gnome. (Not really
>> a big deal, I'm comfortable using XFCE.)
>
> Time to learn aptitude :-)

Oh?

Well, yeah, it is time for me to learn lots of things, including aptitude.

FWIW, it seems both do the job well enough in this case. Don't ask me
why I know that both tools did the job. I don't want to talk about
grub and about screwing up boot sectors and re-install and that kind
of thing right now. I guess two different fedoras and one debian on
the same physical box, not managed as VMs, is stretching some limits.
As is using three drives. I guess, thinking about power use, I need to
remove the smallest drive anyway.

> Select all packages of gnome non-automatically while chosing gnote and
> drop tomboy.
>
> I do not know why gnote was the first choice ...

You mean, "... not the first choice ..."?

But looking at the names of packages that were pulled out when I
removed tomboy, well, it raises some hackles. As if the mono
architects are deliberately trying to make people think mono is
already integral to gnome and all sorts of other low-level bits of the
userland, and even some of the non-gnome system. I wonder if it's time
for projects to start trademarking things to prevent that kind of
deceptive naming practice.

Gnome still works without tomboy and all the mono junk, but it looks
like I'm going to get more comfortable with the rest now..

Joel Rees