Tell firefox to quit from a shell script

Hi,

I want firefox to quit every time I hibernate my laptop. I've tried doing
this using the following bash alias:

  alias shib='pkill firefox ; sudo hibernate'

However, firefox doesn't close cleanly, and I often have problems when I
open it again, with ff complaining that it can't recover my tabs, or
failing to launch the first time and then needing to be called a second
time.

Is there a way I can politely ask firefox to quit, less traumatically
than pkill?

Thanks,

Tyler

ps. My motivation is that I store a lot of passwords in Firefox, and use
the master password to protect them. However, if firefox doesn't close
when I hibernate the computer, and someone steals my laptop, they can
then access many of my online accounts. If FF closes, they can't get to
my passwords without knowing the master password.