Re: [help-a-newb] setting grub

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The grub2 developers decided that most people wouldn't want to set up
>> chainloads and would want update-grub to add all the available
>> installs to grub.cfg to be directly bootable.
>
> That's kind of the way it looks, which is kind of shocking to me.

If I were to hazard an estimate, I'd say that you're in a very small minority.

>> You can update "/boot/grub/device.map" with grub-mkdevicemap.
>
> Would that have some advantage over simply doing a re- grub-install ?

Just doing what's needed - recreating device.map - rather than
re-populating the entirety of "/boot/grub/" etc.

>> Renaming 30_os-prober's a good solution too, although it doesn't solve
>> the BFO problem without some intervention form your side but nothing
>> else does.
>
> Short of moving Debian off the first drive. Although the tutorial I
> linked to above suggests that grub2 doesn't like to be called from
> legacy grub.

Strange tutorial. Claiming that "grub2 doesn't like to be called from
legacy grub" doesn't make any sense. This is the default behavior when
you upgrade from grub1 to grub2.

Do you mean calling grub1 from grub2? (The latter's not my experience
either - but "it works for me" isn't really proof of anything.)