Re: Squeeze, GPT, GRUB2 and Software RAID1

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Georgi Naplatanov <gosho@oles.biz> wrote:
> On 03/27/2011 11:33 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Georgi Naplatanov<gosho@oles.biz>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I have 2 disk Western Digital WD2002FAEX - 2TB and I want to install
>>> Squeeze with software RAID 1 and GPT instead of old MSDOS partition
>>> map.
>>>
>>> I want to use GRUB2 as boot loader, but I read that is needed to be
>>> created a BIOS Boot Partition.[1]
>>>
>>> I have 2 disk and I want when one of them fail to be possible to boot
>>> from another.
>>>
>>> My question is - Will installer, GRUB2 and Squeeze handle synchronization
>>> of BIOS Boot Partition on both disks or I have to do it manually and
>>> eventually how to do it manually ?
>>
>> I've found that you have to format your disks before the install (and
>> create a bios_grub partition) and you then have to run "grub-install
>> /dev/sdb" once you're booted into your install.
>>
>> You can probably install grub on both disks by refusing to install to
>> the MBR and then installing it to (hd0) and (hd1) but I've never tried
>> it.
>
> Yesterday I installed Squeeze (AMD64) (in expert mode) on my computer and
> refused the installer to install GRUB2 on MBR and tell it to install on
> "(hd0) (hd1)". The installation works very well, Linux boots successfully
> from both drives.
>
> In both cases - GPT and MSDOS, grub2 installs in MBR, but in different ways.
>
> May be Debian installer has to explain more detail how to install GRUB2 with
> GPT or handle it automatically.
>
> Thank you.

You're welcome.

The difference between gpt and msdos is that stage 1's installed in
the MBR but stage 1.5's installed in a bios_grub partition in the
former and in the post-MBR gap in the latter.

I looked after your initial email for a d-i list archive but I
couldn't find one. I was hoping to see plans to create a bios_grub
partition automatically...