Re: Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 07:08:54AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> > <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> >> Do you have any documentation to support this assertion?
> >
> > Get a Ubuntu server CD and try to install GNOME from it without network access.
> >
> > Read through the ubuntu-server list archives.
> >
> > How else would they offer different EOL for desktop and server?
> >
> > I'll try to find something for you on ubuntu.com...
>
> >From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI
>
> "X11 and desktop packages are not supported for the full 5 year
> lifecycle of the LTS server release"
>
> >From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq
>
> "The "Server" CD avoids including what Ubuntu considers desktop
> packages (packages like X, Gnome or KDE)"
>
> and
>
> "The Ubuntu Server Edition installation process is slightly different
> from the Desktop Edition. Since by default Ubuntu Server doesn't have
> a GUI, the process is menu driven, very similar to the Alternate CD
> installation process."

The download page, in the "Desktop" section, states "Our long-term
support (LTS) releases are supported for three years on the desktop".
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

I agree that your above references generally agree with server=x-less,
but it seems like the support folks must have a list of packages that
they keep up with in years 4 and 5, and it sure would be nice for them
to share that list with the public.

-Rob