Re: Ubuntu Versions (was: Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...)

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
> <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

>>>Server = X-less so WM-less, DE-less, GUI-less
>>
>> Do you have any documentation to support this assertion?
>
> Get a Ubuntu server CD and try to install GNOME from it without network access.
>
> Read through the ubuntu-server list archives.
>
> How else would they offer different EOL for desktop and server?
>
> I'll try to find something for you on ubuntu.com...

>From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI

"X11 and desktop packages are not supported for the full 5 year
lifecycle of the LTS server release"

>From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq

"The "Server" CD avoids including what Ubuntu considers desktop
packages (packages like X, Gnome or KDE)"

and

"The Ubuntu Server Edition installation process is slightly different
from the Desktop Edition. Since by default Ubuntu Server doesn't have
a GUI, the process is menu driven, very similar to the Alternate CD
installation process."