Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...

Dne, 06. 04. 2011 09:14:07 je Dave Sherohman napisal(a):
On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 05:55:30PM +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> The leap from Lenny to Squeeze is not that big, after all. It's just
> like having Lenny on steroids. There are just too many goodies in
> Squeeze not to upgrade.
>
> What's the big fuss? I've upgraded my better half and our two kids to > Squeeze and, apart from the new boot theme/wallpaper, they never even
> noticed it.

So, if I'm following this correctly, you should upgrade from lenny to
squeeze because it's chock full of goodies, but (aside from the boot
theme/wallpaper) you'll never notice whether those goodies are there or
not?

If the goodies aren't noticable, then they don't sound like a very
compelling reason to upgrade.

(I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade, just that those two paragraphs
seem to contradict each other.)

My better half and my two kids are just average -- shall I say extremely average -- users and they didn't notice, because aside from the theme/wallpaper and the slight Iceweasel makeover, all the other "goodies" are mainly under the hood. They actually didn't notice that we had moved from ext3 to ext4 and that the fsck is waaay faster now; they didn't notice that the bluetooth stack has become substantially more robust; they didn't notice that the boot time has been cut in half, because we hardly ever reboot our family computer; they didn't notice that more hardware is supported now; they didn't notice that we can finally use the free radeon driver now (instead of fglrx) because it's become fast enough; they didn't notice that by upgrading we've obtained, what, 3 additional years of support and security fixes? They hardly noticed that the suspend/hibernation is working better, or that ooo can recognize and import some more recent document formats now, or that the wireless has no more disconnects to speak of, or the changes with xorg and hal and udev, or that I don't have to restart autofs/fuse every once in a while anymore.

The fact that they didn't *notice* most of these changes doesn't mean they aren't there. They are. I can tell by the number of times they call me to "fix the computer that's having its fits again." Those occasions have decreased. Noticeably. ;)

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.