Re: Asus A8N-E - debian-amd64 hangs during installation

> I have box  with sid i386 installed on it.
> It has two disks WDC WD1001FALS in raid5 array (md0)
> On md0 exists lvm.
>
> I tried to install debian-6.0.1a-amd64 but with no success :(

  I can confirm for you that Debian 6.0.1 will indeed run on this
board, I was running it up until this past weekend, when I retired
the system in question.

  I only ran 6.0 in 32-bit, but in the past, I've run 64-bit lenny
on that board, again, with no issues.

> 1. Firstly I tried to install on prepared logical volume - kernel oops
> (dmesg can be seen http://strony.aster.pl/kjonca/instalka.amd64.log)
> 2. Then I tried to use some other spare disks; either sata or pata - no
> success also. Sometimes i can see kernel oops, sometimes I cannot even
> change console from installer.

  The only thing I can think of is pretty unlikely -- I have sometimes
run into a situation where the installer will not run on a system,
because of missing modules, but the full OS will run just fine.  Since
you apparently have a running "sid", you could possibly set up the
new system on a disk via "debootstrap", then boot into it, and see
if that works better.

  I think that's pretty unlikely, though -- my experience with this
is that typically it's more common with an older installer and a
newer motherboard.  The A8N-E is from 2005, I'd expect it to be fully
supported by the installer kernel.

						-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net