Re: accessing shared printed from virtualbox client

I'm getting behind (or maybe I started there).

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:04:49 +0000 (UTC), Liam O'Toole wrote:

> The log files under /var/log/cups on the host
> OS will contain information on any refused connections.

If I try to set up a network printer on XP at

  http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP

there is no error in /var/log/cups/error-log, but the XP "Add Printer
Wizard" says

  Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Either the printer name was typed
  incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
  server.

If I try to set up a network printer on XP at

  http://10.0.2.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP

I get the same Windows error, and /var/log/cups/error-log shows this:

E [02/Apr/2011:21:31:37 -0400] Request from "localhost" using invalid Host:
field "10.0.2.2:631"

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:22:09 +0000 (UTC), Liam O'Toole wrote:

> The file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on the host will tell you on which
> interfaces the daemon is listening.

It shows
  Listen localhost:631
  Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 01:23:44 +0200, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> Hi, this is the correct way to do it :
>
> http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/LaserJet_5MP
>
> provided that LaserJet_5MP is the proper name of your printer (lpstat
> -t).

lpstat -t does show that name.

> Then in cupsd.conf you need something like:
>
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> Allow From localhost
> Allow From @LOCAL
> </Location>
>
> to allow printing from different subnet

I put this in cupsd.conf and restarted /etc/init.d/cups.  Then I tried to set
up the XP network printer with the URL you suggest, but I got the same XP
error shown above.

> and you need port 631 opened.

I'm not sure what this means.  It is listed in /etc/services and in
cupsd.conf.