Guarddog causes intermittent system hang during boot

I have a PC with Debian 6.0 and the amd64 kernel.

When my system is booting I sometimes get the following message: "Setting up guarddog firewall... /etc/rc.firewall: line 390: logger: command not found". Then the system hangs.

One time the boot procedure hung with the message "Setting up prelinminary keymap...".

What is the problem? Does a typical user need a firewall? Are there any other easy to use firewalls besides guarddog?