Re: Re (2): dreaded ethernet device renaming

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:32:18 -0800
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> From:	briand@aracnet.com
> Date:	Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:34:32 -0700
> > It seems to me that this is a really ugly user trap, even if it's a
> > trap you get into replacing the old motherboard.
>
> In the Linux world, udev is really a beautiful way of handling
> contemporary peripheral devices.  eth0, eth1 ... worked for the
> ISA bus.  Now devices are hot-swappable.  A more general naming
> mechanism is needed.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_swapping
>
> > It was already eth0, what possible reason could it have to go
> > rename it.
>
> You added a NIC which udev hadn't identified previously?
> udev decided to call it eth0?  Something similar?

no the problem was that it appended a new device at the end of the old
file.  the old file applied to the previous motherboard (I kept the
same disk).  so then when I brought up the new motherboard it
apparently kept the old devices and tacked the new eth onto the end, so
eth0 ended up being renamed eth3.

I see why though.  a device might come and go and you want it to keep
the same name.  so udev can't assume the devices are "gone", they might
just be "resting".  beatiful plumage, the norwegian blue.

brian