Re: No sound in headphone through jack in squeeze

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 06:07:57 +0530, L V Gandhi wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Additional questions:
>>
>> 1/ What is your DE (Gnome, KDE...)?
>> 2/ What happens when you plug the headphone? Are you still getting
>> audio through the speaker or you simply get no audio at all? 3/ Have
>> you properly setup all volume controls?
>>

> MY DE is KDE.
> I get sound in in-built speakers. When I insert hp, no sound either in
> in-built speaker or in headphone.

Hum... that could mean the headjack is at least detected and sound gets
properly routed to the correct ouput but audio level is very low. Have
you checked the general hardware volume control slider of the laptop?
Or by using "alsamixer"?

> I am giving the link below of my miser
> http://img543.imageshack.us/i/mixer.png/

Have you tried by enabling the "[x] mute" switch? Sometimes the options
are reversed ("on" is "off" and viceversa).

> I have gone through the files mentioned by you. No where it is
> specifying for my laptop. I get following lines in var/log/messages
>
> Mar 31 05:14:55 lvgvaio kernel: [   10.332580] input: HDA Intel Mic at Ext Left Jack as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input15
> Mar 31 05:14:55 lvgvaio kernel: [   10.332688] input: HDA Intel HP Out at Ext Left Jack as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0/input16

> Though chip is mentioned as 92xx, in
> lvgandhi@lvgvaio:/sys/class/sound/hwC0D0$ cat chip_name STAC9872AK
>
> It differs what is shown in aplay -l. May be it was because model was
> given by me as vaio. I changed this to STAC92**

Do not modify nothing under /sys/class/sound*, that's atomatically detected
on every booting.

> and model as 3stack and then as 5stack. None of them helped.

Then, according to the "HD-Audio-models" list mentioned above you should
use either of "options snd-hda-intel model=vaio" or
"options snd-hda-intel model=auto", try with both options and don't forget
to restart the system on every change (or restarting alsa service
"/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart").

As a last restort, you may also be interested in updating your alsa version
to a newer one but I'm not sure what would be the easiest way to achieve this
in a "debian-way", maybe someone can tell :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón