Re: apt pinning question

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 03:35:13PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> Looks broken to me, as well.  Perhaps this is worth a bug report? At the very

Yeah, that's next.  I was hoping I was missing something.

> Nothing in /etc/apt/preferences.d?  What's the output of (apt-cache policy |
> awk 'BEGIN { p = 0 } /^Pinned packages:/ { p = 1 } { if (p) print }')?

Pinned packages:
     dovecot-imapd -> 1:1.2.15-1~bpo50+1

> Try adding this to your preferences:
>   Package: dovecot-imapd
>   Pin: release a=oldstable
>   Pin-Priority: 750

I tried that.  It doesn't help.  The winner depends on their order
of appearance in the preferences file (I verified this by moving them
around).

> If that works, that provides evidence it is as I feared.  Having any package-
> name match in any specific-form prevents application of all general-form to
> packages with that name.  I think that is one valid interpretation of the

No, if you set a different priority, it works as expected.

And, anyway, it can determine the priority all it wants - it's still 750.
Once we've established priorities for all the versions, the doc says:

    o   If two or more versions have the same priority, install the most
        recent one (that is, the one with the higher version number).

I guess I've got a bug.

John