Re: ata2: STST failed (error -5)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:11 +0000, "Camaleón" <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:19:55 -0400, dave boland wrote:
>
> > I have been trying out the new Debian live cd (as well as Mepis 11,
> > Ubuntu 10, and Mint 10 -- all Debian derivatives) and all are now giving
> > me this error. The computer does not have a second hard drive, and when
> > it boots the BIOS looks for a slave, finds none, and moves on.  This
> > error was not a problem with Debian 5 or or any distribution based on
> > it.  My question is what is going on, and why?
>
> (...)
>
> > To help do the diagnosis, I have attached some system information.
>
> (...)
>
> >>From dmesg:
> > Probing IDE interface ide0...
> > hda: ST340016A, ATA DISK drive
> > hda: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4 hda: UDMA/100
> > mode selected
> > Probing IDE interface ide1...
> > hdc: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdd: YAMAHA
> > CRW8424E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive hdc: host max PIO4 wanted
> > PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4 hdc: UDMA/66 mode selected
> > hdd: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4 hdd: MWDMA2
> > mode selected
> > ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> > ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> > ide-cd driver 5.00
> > ide-cd: hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R/RAM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
> > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
> > ide-cd: hdd: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 4096kB Cache
>
> Hum... you seem to have many IDE devices attached to that box with almost
> all channels occupied (1 hdd and 2 DVD/CD units, if I read it
> correctly...) so Ben's suggestions also makes sense to me (that is,
> recheck all of your IDE device jumpers position to match your current
> configuration and to avoid overlapping). You can even leave connected
> only the DVD unit to load the LiveCD and see how it goes...
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Camaleón,

I had a look inside the box last week.  There are three ports.  One is
used by the floppy, the next the hard drive, and one for two CD's.  The
hard drive jumper is set correctly; however, the hard drive is connected
to the first connector (of two) on the ribbon cable.  I'm told that it
really should be connected to the last connector and a slave drive would
be connected to the center connector.  I'll move the connectors as soon
as I can (bigger fish to fry right now).

But once again, it needs to be pointed out that Debian 5, and its
derivatives, have no problem with the hard drives.  So something has
changed, and not for the good.  My question is what has changed and why?
 Additionally, exactly what does this error mean?  At minimum, it would
be helpful if the error provided more information, or timed out and
moved on.  I don't think there is a way to look at the log files of a
failed livecd, so I'm left to guess.

Thanks though for the advice.  I'll give it a try as soon as Ii can.

Dave,
--
  dave boland
  dboland9@fastmail.fm