Re: Prevent shutdown in Gnome

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-03-28, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
>> Dne, 28. 03. 2011 13:22:10 je Paul van der Vlis napisal(a):
>>>
>>> I would like to remove the shutdown option in the Gnome menu, it's to
>>> prevent shutdown by mistake. Is here somebody who knows how?
>
> I looked into this problem last month (following the release of squeeze)
> and, after much head scratching and reading of the man page for
> pklocalauthority (and then more head scratching), I arrived at the
> following alternative solution.
>
> Create a file in the directory /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/.
> Ensure that the name of the file is unique and that it ends in .pkla. To
> prevent shutdown and poweroff, and a stanza such as the following to the
> file:
>
>        [consolekit]
>        Identity=unix-user:*
>        Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
>        ResultAny=no
>        ResultInactive=no
>        ResultActive=no
>
> To prevent suspend and hibernate, add this stanza:
>
>        [upower]
>        Identity=unix-user:*
>        Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*
>        ResultAny=no
>        ResultInactive=no
>        ResultActive=no
>
> The result will be that the relevant options are removed from the System
> menu in GNOME. They will still be present at the login screen, but will
> be ignored.

Doesn't that prevent anyone from shutting down, etc without su-ing to
root in a terminal and doing so there?

Wouldn't "ResultActive=auth_admin" be better? (IIUC, you'd have to
supply the root password in order to shut down, etc.)

I'd add "man polkit" to "man pklocalauthority" as *interesting* reading...