Re: [OT] compiled kernels do not boot

On 27/03/11 00:29, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:19:11 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>> I have tried 3 self-compiled kernels and they do not boot. They compile
>> w/o errors.
>>
>> They are compiled with 'make-kpkg --revision 1 --append-to-version -ck2
>> --initrd kernel_image'. This is with an uptodate Sid.

Could your problem be the missing "=":-
make-kpkg --revision*=*1??

>From my notes for --append-to-version:-
"You may use alphanumeric characters, "+" and "." (period or full stop);
do not use underscore "_" or spaces, = is required"

>From my dodgy memory the same rules apply to --revision

Also you order the process differently, not sure if that matters, at a
minimum I'd use:-
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

I'd normally use something like:-
make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd --revision=custom kernel_image
kernel_headers

Perhaps someone else can tell whether the syntax (=), and/or the order
is important?

<snipped>

After the official Debian resources I use
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_Kernel_Newbies (which better qualifies my
level of expertise!)

Cheers