Re: recover partition table

Hello,

Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:36:08 -0400 (EDT), Geronimo wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused.
> >
> > I tried to read partition info from hex-dump of first block and compare
> > that with the values from /var/log/installer/partman ...
> >
> > According to partition info from wiki the biggest number of chs is 0x3FF,
> >
> > which is 1023 decimal - and partman output contains entries like:
> > 	(91201,0,0)	(91201,80,62)
> >
> > So is there another way to interpret entries from partition table?
>
> The master boot record is the first sector of the disk (512 bytes).
> is further down in the file than the CHS information.

I don't want to offend you, but all that you wrote I already found from google
and friends.

What I did not find is some info about partman logging.
Searching debian MLs for partman has millions of hits, so its the same like no
hits - can't read all that.

As partman is internal to d-i, where can I find some info about the numbers
shown around partition informations?

You wrote, that disc addressing could be converted, if size is smaller than 8
Gig - none of my partitions fits this condition, so how can I calculate a
sector from informations of partman log?

kind regards

Gero