removing debian-multimedia from sources.list

Hi everybody,
I had a problem reading 1 iso file with vlc(it works with all others)
   libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f50000. Regions: 2 4
   libdvdnav: ifoOpenVTSI failed
I then  went to the videolan forum, and found there an instruction to
remove the debian-multimedia from the sources.list. Here is an extract
of the thread:

   A significant number of VLC users on Debian and Ubuntu appear to be
   hit by bugs in the unofficial so-called Debian Multimedia repository
   (debian-multimedia.org).

   This unofficial package repository is well known to introduce
   incompatibilities in the FFMPEG libraries. This causes VLC media
   player and possibly some other multimedia software to stop working,
   as the FFMPEG binary interface is silently broken. The VideoLAN
   project strongly advises that you do not use the Debian Multimedia
   repository under any circumstances. Before you report problems with
   VLC on Debian or Ubuntu, make sure you have not installed any package
   from that repository.

Before reporting this problem, I followed exactly the instructions. The net result was that:
1/ the problem with vlc remains
2/ I loose k9copy, which seems to be available only from debian-multimedia,
   and also a lot of useful packages, like transcode, dvd-slideshow,...

Has anybody followed these "curious" recommandations?

--
Pierre Frenkiel