Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Geronimo <geronimo013@arcor.de> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>>
>> - Does grub-probe on squeeze and maverick return the same values?
>
> Can you please verify the script checkSystem.sh, that I got u right?
> Especially the ubuntu / chainload part?
>
> Should I replace X and Y from the line:
>        set root=(hdX,Y)  ## using X and Y for /mnt/squeeze/boot
> or are that values replaced by any of grubs scripts?
>
> Shouldn't the path of 40_custom be "/etc/grub.d"?
> Neither debian, nor ubuntu has a /boot/grub.d directory.

I should've proof-read my post. Yes, it's "/etc/grub.d" and not
"/boot/grub.d". Sorry.

And chainload_test() should be (notice that I've moved the two insmods down):

chainload_test() {
cat > /etc/grub.d/40_custom << TEST
#!/bin/sh
cat << EOF
menuentry "chainload squeeze from maverick" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root=(hdX,Y)
linux /grub/core.img
different partitions
}
EOF
TEST
}

so that "cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom" gives
#!/bin/sh
cat << EOF
menuentry "chainload squeeze from maverick" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root=(hdX,Y)
linux /grub/core.img
different partitions
}
EOF

where (hdX,Y) is the output of "grub-probe --target drive /mnt/squeeze/boot".

So that when update-grub runs, the following ends at the bottom of
"/boot/grub/grub.cfg":

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
menuentry "chainload squeeze from maverick" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root=(hdX,Y)
linux /grub/core.img
}
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

(Looking at the above, I'm wondering why I didn't just say "edit
/boot/grub/grub.cfg"! :) )