Re: libxaw7-dev busted, not sure why

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:58:21 +1300
Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:05:32AM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:09:28 +1300
> > Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> > libxaw7:
> >   Installed: 2:1.0.8-2
> >   Candidate: 2:1.0.8-2
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 2:1.0.8-2 0
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >      2:1.0.7-1 0
> >         500 http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian/ squeeze/main
> > amd64 Packages
>
> Ahh, at some stage you have had a higher version installed.
>
> > #deb http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/
> > lenny main #deb-src
> > http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian/ lenny
> > main
> >
> > deb http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian squeeze main contrib
> > non-free deb-src http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/debian squeeze
> > main contrib non-free
> >
> > # deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
> > # deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
>
> You don't want security updates for squeeze?

yeah - actually I do.  oops. please don't root my boxen :-(

> > hmmmm....  I was running unstable before going to stable.  I wonder
> > if
>
> Downgrading isn't officially supported, but in saying that, there is
> an option to pass to dpkg to *force* a downgrade.

I would like to stay with stable, I'm just wondering if somehow I put
it into an indeterminate state sometime during the transition.  I had
not updated the system in quite some time.

> > 2:1.0.8-2 was installed at that point.  I thought I checked to see
> > if libxaw7 was the correct package, but obviously it's not.
>
> Sorry, not sure what you mean here, but:
>
> apt-cache rdepends libxaw7 | less

a million !

> will show which packages depend on libxaw7
>
> > I can't figure out how to delete the libxaw7 package without taking
> > all of X with it.
>
> Try downgading libxaw7 by force. Hopefully, that should fix it. But
> there is the possibility there may be other packages that need
> downgrading as well.

oooh.  success.  just used the =version format to downgrade.

only had to beat up on three packages to make it work.

fixed that security thing too :-)

Brian