Re: wmv locks entire system ever since upgrade to 6.0.1

I was not able to play it in Totem.  I got the same result as trying to play it through iceweasel (mouse moves but everything is unresponsive, with the only way out being a hard power cycle)

This was fine before 6.0.1

--- On Mon, 3/21/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: wmv locks entire system ever since upgrade to 6.0.1
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Monday, March 21, 2011, 8:30 PM

On 22/03/11 12:04, Steven Sciame wrote:

> I apologize, but I do not know the example movie that you referenced.

It's the example you gave. I can confirm that it is playable.

Try:-
wget -t 0 http://media.grc.com/files/testvideo.wmv
then try playing it with Totem.

Sorry I don't run Gnome so I can't tell you if Totem will play .wmv
files (w32 codecs??).

> --- On *Mon, 3/21/11, Scott Ferguson
> /<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>/* wrote:
>

>     From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
>     Subject: Re: wmv locks entire system ever since upgrade to 6.0.1
>     To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>     Date: Monday, March 21, 2011, 7:49 PM
>
>     On 22/03/11 06:21, Steven Sciame wrote:
>     > Since upgrading to 6.0.1 playing wmv from iceweasel locks entire
>     > system.  The only way to unlock is to hold power button until machine
>     > shuts off and then reboots (not necessarily a good idea)
>     >
>     > Here is one example of a page that did it to me:
>     >
>     > http://media.grc.com/files/testvideo.wmv
>     >
>     > I am not sure if this is also a kernel problem or iceweasel
>     >
>     >
>     >
>

>     What do you have set as your Microsoft proprietary media handler for
>     Iceweasel?

Try (from the Iceweasel toolbar):- Edit --> Preferences --> Applications
and enter wmv to see what appkication is associated.

Also the output of:-
# dpkg --get-selections | grep mozplugger
might be instructive.

<snipped>

Cheers