Re: utilizing the Scroll key

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 01:20:13PM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 02:58:33PM +0100, lee wrote:
> > I would like to use the scroll key to switch the function of the Del
> > key on the numpad so that pressing the Del key on the numpad either
> > produces a comma (",") or a colon ("."), depending on the state of the
> > Scroll key. There?s even a LED on the keyboard to display the state of
> > the Scroll key, the LED doesn?t light when pressing the Scroll key.
> >
> > How would I do this?
>
> You'll need some way of triggering execution on a keypress. Many window
> managers provide this facility, but I don't know which one you use

Well, I´m using KDE with kwin atm.

Did you realize that there are at least seven(!!) totally different
places all over the system you eventually need to customize to get
your keyboard to work, and least two more you could use to finally get
the keyboard layout you want?

> Once you figure out how to bind a key to executing something, you'll write
> a script that will store its state somewhere (/tmp, most likely) and use
> xmodmap

Yes, that´s what I was thinking about. As you say, it´s a brute force
approach. I´d like something more elegant and thought I won´t need to
re-invent a wheel ... I´ll give it a try, though :)