Re: Squeeze. Broken native laptop screen res 1366x768@NVIDIA after last update

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Geoff Simmons <gsimmons@gsimmons.org> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:08:01AM +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> This case is solved with # mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>> I am just interesting, what was introduced by the last update, if it
>> broke my X configuration?
>
> >From the xorg-server package changelog:
>
>  xorg-server (2:1.7.7-12) unstable; urgency=low
>  [...]
>    * Add 22-stop-searching-for-xf86config-files, cherry-picking the
>      upstream commit below (which we can't do directly since it depends on
>      a patch kept in the quilt series: 08-config-xorg-conf-d.diff), so that
>      XF86Config-4 is no longer considered (Closes: #610453). Thanks,
>      Bernhard R. Link!
>      - Stop searching for XF86Config files
>
> This change is briefly mentioned in the 6.0.1 news release.

Thanks for the explanation, Geoff!

In my particular case, narrow bandwidth prevents me from instant
observing of the update process, since I do it not often for a stable
distribution. In addition, have managed to use a 'pure' apt in console
for any purposes to work with packages, I briefly checked output
messages but obviously too briefly in this case. It is a first time
for me for 3+ years a stable distro was spoiled by an update, as I
thought it is more trustworthy.

>From a point of view of an average user, I think it may be useful to
warn about such critical changes right after  # apt-get dist-upgrade
command output, as it shows a list of packages marked to change,
before yes/no confirmation.

X configuration seems to be critical IMHO, and if X is failed to load,
it blocks an average user from receiving help over internet through
normal GUI. Yes, I know about web browsers in CLI, but this variant is
not preconfigured (AFAIK) in current release and I never seen a note
to use that way in emergency. Yes, I know about release notes for
updated packages, but do not have any clue how to find it.

Please, forgive my moaning... :0) D6S Squeeze is a good released one...

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein