Re: sum two disks using RAID or LVM?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:15:37 +0200, Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:

> A short question: I have two 500GB HDDs and I want to use their space as
> one. Should I aggregate them with software RAID, or using LVM in regard
> to data safety? If one of them malfunctions, is one of the two
> approaches better?

As soon as you join the two disks into a big one, you lose the
possibility to use them for redundant data.

So if want to:

a/ Have a big spool volume, you can either use a JBOD+spanning, RAID0
setup or join them using LVM. Your data won't be protected over a hard
disk failure, it's like using a plain disk setup.

b/ Add data redundancy, you'll have to use a RAID1 setup but you'll get
only one volume of 500 GiB.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón