Re: how to send DEL to virtualbox client

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:30:41 +0000 (UTC), I wrote:

> I'm running my first virtualbox client (Windows XP) on a host that has Linux
> testing (Wheezy).  ...  Can someone tell me how to send DEL from the keyboard
> to an XP program on the client?

I have solved this problem but am still confused.  What was happening was
that both Backspace and Delete were seen within vbox as Backspace (e.g.
causing the menu to back up by one level).  In my ~/.Xmodmap, I had this line

  keysym Delete = BackSpace

(relic of an ancient problem with erase across connected machines).  Deleting
that and restarting X allowed proper Delete function in vbox.  One thing I
don't understand is why my Lenny machine with VMware XP client doesn't
function the same way.  I have the same .Xmodmap line on the Lenny host, but
the Delete key causes delete function in the VMware client.  Both hosts are
running fvwm window manager.

In the process of investigating this, I found that I am really very confused
about keymapping and the erase function in general.  I'll start a re-named
subthread on this.