Re: Best network filesystem for a bleeding edge, pure linux environment?

Dne, 20. 03. 2011 05:23:34 je Celejar napisal(a):
On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:01:27 -0400
Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> Sshfs requires fusefs to function, syntax is the same as SSH/sftp/scp.

IIUC, sshfs+fusefs must be on the system from which I'm running the
sshfs command, but is not necessary on the other one; correct me if I'm
wrong. As I've said, I do have a working sshfs setup on my Debian box
(it works with other Debian boxes).

Then it's probably something with your OpenWrt ssh daemon and how it's configured (you *have* the daemon running on it, I trust). In my experiences with OpenWrt, they are forced to strip down their packages quite a bit (for example, they ship a tiny cron that won't recognize directives such as @reboot and the like; and God only knows what gets left out from their kernel in order to keep it so small).

> > I did consider sshfs, but for some reason, it won't work; when I try to > > connect from my linux system to the OpenWrt box, all I get is the less
> > than helpful error "remote host has disconnected". ssh works fine
> > between the two boxes (using public / private keys), and I've used sshfs
Probably the reason. Did you try running sshfs with simple password verification first? Setting the right keys into the right ~/.ssh directories, and with the right permissions, is probably the most annoying part when setting up sshfs/fusefs with public/private keys verification. It certainly helps if you set your remote ssh daemon to "verbose" logging for the time being.

> > before between two Debian boxes.
> >
> > Celejar

FWIW: fusefs issupposedly more secure than nfs, but being done in user space, it's also less flexible. For example, simply copying some user A's files, if done from user B's account (which generally does not have write permissions to A's home subtree) may involve copying them to an intermediate "staging" area on the remote machine first, then logging into the remote machine, becoming root there, moving over the copied files from the staging area to their final, intended destination, and finally setting their ownership/permissions right. Quite a chore, as opposed to the totally seamless usage I was used to with nfs...

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.