strange problem logging in via gdm3

I have just rebuilt my system from scratch using the squeeze net-installer, but then upgrading to unstable during the installation of most of the packages.

I retained the contents of my home directory, including .bashrc

When I come to log in via gdm, it starts to do so and then immediately fails and puts me back into gdm.

~/.xsession-errors is created during this process and contains the following

/etc/gdm3/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/home/alan/.bashrc: 13: shopt: not found
/etc/bash_completion: 32: [[: not found
/etc/bash_completion: 38: [[: not found
/etc/bash_completion: 51: Bad substitution

The first thing that seems strange is the failure of .bashrc. shopt should be a built in command in bash. The other thing is I can't find and [[ lines in /etc/bash_completion at the lines mentioned.

HOWEVER - if I move .bashrc aside (ie rename it) and try to come in via gdm I log in fine.

Anyone any ideas what could be wrong here?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk