Re: Looking for a parallel log viewer

On Mar 17, 2011 3:16 PM, "Javier Barroso" <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mi, 16 mar 11, 01:23:45, Malte Forkel wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a tool that can display multiple log files and scroll
> >> them based on their timestamps in a synchronized fashion.
> I'm not sure, but maybe log4tailer [1] could works for you (I want to test it)
>
> It is not exactly what you want, but who knows !
>
> [1] https://bitbucket.org/jordilin/alerta/wiki/Home

Yall know that if you just want to see multiple files at the same time you can use screen or vim or emacs or sed (for lighting), multiple pipes (maybe tee too) and plain old tail, or splitvt. Though, if you're going to go through the effort and put all of the logs in one stream, it would probably be better to just do it in logrotate (the right way imo).

What splunk gives you are advanced filtering, ajax'y web stuff, user management, reporting, etc etc etc. It's really overkill for most projects but its always worth looking at as what I consider 'the gold standard' - the Cadillac of what they do.