Re: On-going problems with flashplugin for IW

On 2011-03-15, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> In Iceape and other browsers (e.g. Opera) I can watch embedded
> (streaming?) videos on-line.  In Iceweasel/ Swiftfox I cannot.  Insterad
> I get a variation on this message: "Note: Either you do not have Adobe
> Flash Player installed on your computer or your Flash Version is
> outdated. You need Flash Player in order to view this item. Download
> Flash Player now. <http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer>"
>
> I have double-checked and I have the latest flashplugin-nonfree
> installed and seems to be accessible to the other browsers, so why
> doesn't IW "see" the plugin and use it as well?  In my
> ~.mozilla/plugins/ directory the library libflashplayer.so is installed

That may well be the problem. Installing flashplugin-nonfree makes the
plug-in available system-wide; having libflashplayer.so in
~/.mozilla/plugins/ means that you also have a personal copy.

> and executable and as far as I can tell, the plugins are registered with
> IW as seen by doing about:plugins in the address bar.

Try removing your personal copy (or just start with a new ~/.mozilla to
experiment).

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland