From: Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com>
Date: 15 March 2011 07:23
Subject: Re: Seagate Barracuda drives?
To: Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com>

On 14 March 2011 12:11, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
There has been much talk about the WD 2TB drives and the problems that they can have with linux.  I just went into an electronics store that is going out of business and has 40% off all drives.  For internal drives, all they have are Seagate Barracudas.  They have 1.5 TB and 2 TB drives running at 5900 RPM.  The 2 TB drive said it was 'Low Power'.  I didn't get the model number.  I was in a rush and had to move fast.  Do these drives play nicely with linux, or should I look for something else.

<snip>
I don't know about the internal drives, but I have an external USB 1TB that I have my /home on and no problems. Picked up automagically on install (Lenny) and maintained that on all upgrades, currently on SID.
Tried FreeBSD, the opposite was the case. Could only get the drive recognised post install, and that only with difficulty, having to repeat the process on each start. It's derivative, PC-BSD had the same problem, so it lies in the mother code.
But Debian, no problem.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Weaver.