Re: Security of the browsers

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:30:30 -0400
> Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu for a while for my desktop and I am planning
>> to come back to Debian stable because there is now a two-year release
>> cycle which is more reasonable.
>>
>> My worried is related with the security of the browser. The Ubuntu
>> approach is to use the latest version of mozilla or the chromium
>> project.
>>
>> The Debian approach is to freeze the version and apply themselves the
>> patches. In my opinion this is worse because the mozilla/chromium
>> project should know better the problems/security issues related with
>> their browsers right?
>
> Could I point out that the Debian policy for Stable is exactly the
> right one for servers, which do not generally use fast-changing and
> potentially insecure user applications, but do need stability of
> programming interfaces? In particular, they do not generally have GUI
> web browsers installed, as even Microsoft admins (mostly) know enough
> not to browse the web with admin privileges.
>
> Stable is also designed to be upgradable without breaking anything
> serious, and nothing like the same amount of work goes into
> shorter-lived operating systems. Ubuntu in particular has a reputation
> for needing a clean install of new versions, and Knoppix is literally
> unmaintainable.
>

>> Can I consider these frozen versions secure enough.
>>
>> How secure is the chromium browser in Debian? It is an and old
>> release the 6.
>>

> Your call. You may wish to use Debian Unstable if you are concerned
> about the age of user applications but do not need API stability. You
> may for that matter install any browser on Stable if you organise the
> right library dependencies. Ubuntu exists because of the perceived
> need of some computer users for an up-to-date workstation operating
> system, and may be the most suitable Debian derivative for your needs.
> But there are many others, and even Ubuntu has a server-oriented
> version.
>
> Horses for courses. I use Ubuntu on my laptop and netbook because I
> can't be bothered fixing driver problems, Unstable on my desktop and
> Stable on my server. A single operating system throughout would reduce
> administration, but I'd rather use the right tool for the job. Debian
> Stable can certainly be used on a workstation but it is not optimised
> for that purpose. Why do you want to use it?

I guess that you are right Ubuntu might be a better choice for a
desktop as you don't have to fight with the drivers. Is there still a
problem in Debian with the drivers for the graphic cards? I remember
that last time that I used Debian that was an issue because some
vendors wouldn't release the drivers as gnu.

I wanted to come back to Debian, because I didn't like much some
Ubuntu decisions, like installing by default the "ubuntu one" or
removing aptitude. But that is just a personal taste.

Dan