Re: [OT] You want embarrassing? (was "[SOLVED] Cannot use USB floppy drive in Squeeze")

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:54:02 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 3/12/2011 8:30 AM:
>>
>> I have to admit that tops my story.  But I think I can do better.
>> I once tore up the wall of my living room trying to find an
>> electrical problem, only to discover that the reason that the
>> electrical outlet wouldn't work was that it was a switched outlet
>> and the switch was off!  That was bad enough.  But to add insult
>> to injury, I actually have a four-year college degree in electrical
>> engineering!  You'd think that an electrical engineer could figure
>> out that the switch was off, wouldn't you?
>>
>> Now *that* was embarrassing!
>
> BS EE != journeyman electrician, nor apprentice electrician, not even
> shade tree electrician
>
> A BS EE friend of mine asked myself and another friend to install a car
> stereo for him as he had no clue how to go about it.

That's true.  We EEs get a lot of theory, but not much practical
experience.  Draw me a circuit diagram with a voltage source and
a network of resistors and ask me what the current is through a
particular resistor and I have a decent chance of being able to
tell you -- eventually.  But ask me what gauge of wire is
required by the electrical code for a certain application and I
would have absolutely no clue.  They are different skill sets
for different purposes.

And yes, if I bought a car stereo, I would pay someone else to
install it.  Still, even a lowly EE should have thought of the
possibility of a switched outlet.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :