Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

I also run apticron, regardless of release. This gives me a daily list of packages which needs to be upgraded, and in addition, a list of changelogs:

apticron has detected that some packages need upgrading on:

        dax
        [ 192.168.1.61 ]

The following packages are currently pending an upgrade:

        apt 0.8.12
        apt-utils 0.8.12
        binutils 2.21.0.20110302-2
        dmsetup 2:1.02.63-2
        gcc-4.5-base 4.5.2-5
        hostname 3.06
        libcurl3 7.21.4-1
Package Details:

Reading changelogs...
--- Changes for apt (apt apt-utils) ---
apt (0.8.12) unstable; urgency=low

  [ Michael Vogt ]
  * apt-pkg/deb/debindexfile.cc:
    - ignore missing deb-src files in /var/lib/apt/lists, thanks
      to Thorsten Spindler (LP: #85590)
  * apt-pkg/contrib/fileutl.cc, apt-pkg/deb/dpkgpm.cc:
    - honor Dpkg::Chroot-Directory in the RunScripts*() methods
  * apt-pkg/contrib/cdromutl.{cc,h}, apt-pkg/cdrom.{cc,h}:

This way, I can keep an eye out for packages the specific server (e.g. mediawiki related files on the wiki host) as well as the urgency of the upgrade. A few weeks ago, krb5 had an upgrade that was listed as "emergency".

Beyond this, I generally do aptitude upgrades instead of full-upgrades, at least until later in the wheezy cycle. I will try a full-upgrade occasionally, but unless it is clean or I can clean it up, I don't execute.

--b