Re: Upgrading the old OS vs. fresh installation of the new OS

On Jo, 10 mar 11, 16:21:24, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Dual boot has gotten somewhat messy, IMHO, since the introduction of
> UUIDs in /etc/fstab. When one boots into the old installation, the
> /etc/fstab is incapable of mounting the newer installation because
> the old UUID on that root partition has been clobbered.
>
> At least I haven't figured out a convenient way to switch back and
> forth. Any suggestions?

Re-formating a partition will generate a new UUID. If you want to write
a "stable" fstab just use LABELs instead and make sure you assign the
same label every time you reformat the partition.

(You can set the UUID at re-formating as well, but LABELs are easier to
handle in such a scenario)

Regards,
Andrei