Re: Fglrx left lint on my Squeeze box!

on 21:03 Thu 10 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
> set up the #@%&! fglrx driver.

Via a Debian package?

> I then set up the free radeon driver and am very satisfied with it.
> However, the attempted fglrx install seems to have left some spurious
> files scattered over my system.  Just take a look at the output of
> "locate fglrx":
>
> <snip>
>
> /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid
> /etc/default/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/default/fglrx-driver
> /etc/init.d/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc0.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc1.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc2.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc3.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc4.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc5.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc6.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /usr/lib/fglrx
> /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions
> /usr/lib32/fglrx
> /usr/lib32/fglrx/diversions
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-atieventsd_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-control_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx-ia32_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-modules-dkms_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.postrm
> /var/lib/update-rc.d/fglrx-atieventsd
>
> </pins>
>
> This happened despite the fact that I've since thoroughly
> uninstalled -- in fact, purged -- the fglrx packages. Will these
> leftovers interfere with my system, now perfectly running radeon, in
> any way?

You're aware that locate uses a static database that's generally only
updated daily?  You should be using 'slocate' or 'mlocate'.

You can force an update with "sudo /etc/dron.daily/mlocate".

Confirm that the cruft is indeed left behind.  In which case, you might
wish to inquire about the rapture as well.

You can check for any packages known to own these files using
'auto-apt', or by searching for each of these files via: 'dpkg -S
<filename>' (do this in a shell loop to avoid the obvious tedium
involved, unless you're into obvious tedium, of course, not that there's
anything wrong with that).

> Specifically, what do you make of those symlinks under /etc/rcx.d/ ?
> Will they slow down my boots perceptibly?

I'm almost certain they will if you stress about it enough.

I'd divert/rename/tar off the relevant files, test to see if the
Universe implodes, and if it doesn't, not stress life too much
afterward.

> -- Cheerio,

Yeah, sure.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power