Re: squeeze on 2TB drive

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Dne, 10. 03. 2011 17:56:23 je chris napisal(a):
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to setup squeeze on a machine with a WD2001FAS (2TB). The
>> first problem I am having is that when I initialize the drive it
>> doesn't prompt me for MBR/GPT so I assume its doing GPT? Secondly,
>> when I create my first partition it is 8GB, ext4, I cannot make it
>> bootable. I continue the install and grub fails to install on sda. I
>> tried playing with the SATA mode in the bios ide/sata/ahci, no luck.
>>
>> Is this something thats happening due the size? Is this one of those
>> drives with a weird sector size and maybe thats doing it? Why does
>> grub fail? Can I somehow get the installer do install grub1 instead?
>>
>> Any insight would be greatly appreaciated
>>
>> chris
>
> I'd reccommend partitioning (setting up) the drive in advance; if you lack a
> working GNU/Linux system, a live CD with gparted (such as an Ubuntu Live)
> will do. I prefer GPT but that's just a personal choice really; the same
> goes for grub (I prefer Grub 2 because it is more capable and very actively
> developed). As for special requirements (and a hands-on experience) see the
> website in my signature. There's a heading about WD20EARS specifically you
> may want to read. I am not sure if your drive is one of the "advanced
> format" drives though -- please do consult Google and the WD site for that,
> before doing anything with the drive.
>
> --
> Cheerio,
>
> Klistvud                             http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
> Certifiable Loonix User #481801      Please reply to the list, not to me.
>

> --

I found this:

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=733&language=1

As far as any information I can find, its not a advanced format drive
so I don't think the WD20EARS stuff applies.
As for the suggestion to format the drive ahead of time this doesnt
help as grub still fails to install, so something is obviously still
wrong.

Any other ideas?

chris