Re: What is the most secure FTP server?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:56:32 -0600, Jason Hsu wrote:

> I understand that regular FTP has inferior security due to the lack of
> encryption.  So I'm looking for an alternative to use on my home server.

An alternative to FTP can be SSH. But you can still secure your FTP
server by adding TLS (most of the major FTP packages provide that
functionality). I personally like Vsftp.

> What is your favorite alternative and why?  Implicit FTPS?  SFTP?  FTP
> over SSH?  Or something else?

That depends... SSH is very powerful for admins (with full login
capabilities or for system users with shell access) but to allow external/
remote users to just upload some files "securely" you can use FTPS.

In brief, for:

- Server managing purposes (SSH)
- File transfers for system users with shell access (SFTP)
- Remote/external file transfers with no shell access (FTPS)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón