Re: Network connection drops in Squeeze

On 03/09/2011 04:30 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 14:11:41 -0500
"David A. Parker"<dparker@utica.edu>  wrote:

Hello,

I have an HP 6005 workstation with a fresh install of Debian Squeeze,
and I am seeing some very strange networking behavior.  The network
connection seems to drop periodically, but it comes back if you hit a
key on the keyboard plugged into the machine.

Here's the general way it happens:

I can reproduce this with pretty good consistency.  It seems to happen
any time I am doing something fairly network intensive (large file
transfer, X11 forwarding, etc.)  This is a clean command-line-only
install of Squeeze (64-bit) with the default kernel (2.6.32-5-amd64).

I doubt I'll be able to help, but just to clarify: you're pretty
certain that the problem doesn't occur when the connection is not under
load, such as during an ordinary interactive ssh session?

One might suspect some sort of sleep / suspend behavior, but I
really don't know.

Thanks Celejar.

So far, this has never happened randomly during an SSH session. It always seems to be triggered by some sort of network activity. What's especially frustrating is that absolutely nothing gets logged in the system logs when this happens.

I originally suspected that the network adapter was being put to sleep, but that doesn't explain why I can sustain a normal SSH connection for long periods of time. I can even leave the computer on overnight and nothing stops working. If it were a sleep or suspend issue, I would think it would happen when the interface was idle, but I haven't ruled this out.

Does anyone know what I should check to see if this is some sort of power management issue? I stopped acpid, but the behavior persists.

    Thanks!
    Dave