Re (3): [OT] US tax forms with acroread from debian-multimedia

From:	"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net>
Date:	Wed, 09 Mar 2011 12:58:41 -0600
> Most web-based tax services use end-to-
> end encryption to prevent the data from being intercepted both times it is "on
> the wire": from you to them and from them to the IRS.

True in Canada also.  Revenue Canada qualifies a service before the provider
can legitimately offer it to the public.  Haven't checked, but a likely
requirement to maintain this qualification is that privacy be maintained.
Making the substantial investment to offer the service and then publishing
personal data would be too foolish.

> I am not sure if the IRS supports direct electronic filing by individuals ...

Rev. Ca. accepted electronic returns from individuals for 2008 and 2009.
Didn't try in 2007.

> ... if the tools to do so are available in Debian.

Iceweasel worked with no difficulties.

On 2011-03-09 11:10:39 John Hasler wrote:
>Sure, if you don't mind publishing your tax returns.

I'm near the bottom of the food chain.  A person would have to be quite
desperate for reading material to bother with my return.

Regards,                       ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.