Re: power interruption -> renamed USB disk

On 03/08/2011 01:20 AM, Ross Boylan wrote:
On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 23:47 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
IOW=?

In Other Words.

[snip]

I speculate that hotplug hasn't quite gotten (or never gets) the news
the sdc has disappeared, and when it detects a "new" drive it assigns it
the next available location, sdd.  But I'm not even sure what the
division of responsibility is between the kernel proper and the hotplug
system.  I thought hotplug was supposed to ensure that the same physical
device would end up with the same name every time.

You'd think; the power failure probably exposes an edge case.

That leads to these questions:

1. Is the LV made up of both external *and* internal drives,
     or just external?
The LV is in a VG that includes external and internal drives.  The
particular LVs that have trouble are entirely on the external drive.

2. When the power flickers, do you do this:
     # lvchange -an ${VG}/${LV}
     # vgchange -an ${VG}
     [unplug/wait/replug the enclosure]
     # vgchange -ay ${VG}
     # lvchange -ay ${VG}/${LV}

No.  The vgchange -an seems problematic since essentially my entire
system is on the VG.

Maybe just "bounce" the LV?

                     I think that means lvm would not let me deactivate
it; certainly if I succeeded I would be unable to do much of anything.
The VG is lvm2 format.

Hmmm. I think I'd not have designed things that way. Anyhoo, what's there is there...

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.