Re: Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:38:54AM -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 01:05 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I installed kvm-qemu and enabled virtualization in BIOS.
> >
> >Now, I have a Windows partition I'd like to fiddle.
> >It was produced thusly:
> >
> >     dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=windows_partition
> >
> >Entering this command
> >
> >     qemu --enable-kvm windows_partition
> >
> >opens a black window with the "booting" message.
> >
> >Of course, it needs a boot loader. I tried this:
> >
> >     grub-install windows_partition
> >
> >But this fails with:
> >
> >     Format of install_device not recognized.
> >
> >     INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.
> >
> >Can someone suggest or point a reference to help me
> >create a bootable partition?
> >
> >A LILO solution would be okay, too.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> A message I wrote in reply to a question on the Kubuntu list may be
> of some help.
> The message is called "Install Win98 on /dev/sda4" and does not
> actually install
> Windows to /dev/sda4, but to /sdb1. And it's XP, not 98.  Anyway,
> since it is frowned
> on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
> 03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
> so you can look for it there.  (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham
> at 03/05/2011
> at 8:14 PM.  He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)

Ron Johnson added:

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2011-March/053651.html

What I want really, is to copy GRUB to the boot record
to the **partition image**, so I can say.

qemu --enable-kvm windows_partition_image

What I just thought of would be to use grub-install
with the correct parameters to a real partition,
then dd it to the partition image.

Regards,

> --doug
>
> --
> Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
> --A. M. Greeley

Yow!  For a contemporary flavor I could add:

...by guns sold to drug cartels under the watchful eyes of ATF

--
Joel Roth