Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image

Hi,

I installed kvm-qemu and enabled virtualization in BIOS.

Now, I have a Windows partition I'd like to fiddle.
It was produced thusly:

    dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=windows_partition

Entering this command

    qemu --enable-kvm windows_partition

opens a black window with the "booting" message.

Of course, it needs a boot loader. I tried this:

    grub-install windows_partition

But this fails with:

    Format of install_device not recognized.

    INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

Can someone suggest or point a reference to help me
create a bootable partition?

A LILO solution would be okay, too.

Thanks!

--