[SOLVED] Re: Where is the disk label stored?

Am Samstag, 5. März 2011 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:
> Hello list,
>
> I am searching for an entry, where a disk label is stored.
>
> Problem: Some time ago I formatted a sd-card and labelled it with the name
> "Debian Inst". In the meantime, I formatted this sd-card several times and
> deleted the label. But whenever I put the card in, it is seen as "Debian
> Inst" in KDE4 (I mean the hardware manager in the task bar).
>
> I tried also mlabel to make sure, the label is no more stored on the
> device, but it did not work. See:
>
> root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1
> Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
> Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
> root@protheus7:~#
>
> Maybe it is a bug? So I checked with gparted, and there is sure no label
> existent.
>
> I also tried the following command:
>
> echo -n "           "|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1;echo -n
> "$NAME"|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1
>
> But I got no success, too. IMO the label is stored somewhere else and maybe
> bound to the hardware, i.e. the UUID or something.
>
> I hope, someone might know more, I will be happy if so.
>

> Best regards
>
> Hans

Hello folks,

I got the problem solved. For those woho are interested:

As mlabels did not really help me (because mlabels already showed, there is NO
label on the device), I put the sd-card in and search below /etc/udev and /dev
to links pointing to that name. I found some limks and directories pointing to
that label name. Deleting them and the device entries in those directories did
not help at first, but after a reboot the label was gone.

Everything is now working as wanted. Thank you very much for all the help!

Cheers!

Hans