Re: [Semi-OT] Advice on whether a C++ book is still adequate

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:30:22AM +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> What's the latest "official" "release"? C++02? C++03?

Currently C++03 (C++98 with TR1).  C++0x is due out really soon;
support for most of it is already in current and upcoming GCC
releases if you add -std=c++0x.  Converting my code to use some
of the new features is on my todo list (auto types, ranged for-loops,
typed enums to begin with).

> Has Boost been
> "officialized"?

Parts of boost have been imported into the standard library:

and more

and to come in C++0x

hash tables
and a bunch of other stuff

I guess Boost can be considered as a source of useful components, the
best of which are adopted into the standard library.

> What about C#? I know it's not directly related, but
> how do you figure fits the picture?

What about it?  I've never used it, and as far as C++ is concerned
I don't see how it's at all related.

  .''`.  Roger Leigh