Re: Please help

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:06:50PM -0500, Ryan Collins wrote:
> Someone for the love of GOD, help me.

> I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have to
> show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless entries on
> ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for me like it has
> others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im beginning to at least
> understand how things need to be typed in order to make the magic happen,
> but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I may have installed a server
> version, but there is a way around that right?

What options did you select during the installation?  The desktop system
should be the default setting (honestly I shouldn't say that since I am
still running Lenny here but did install Squeeze once when it was

If you could provide us with more information that would be
more helpful to us all.

Petrus Validus

If there isn't a way, I make one.