Re: Debian Installer Design Oversight?

Brian wrote:
On Thu 03 Mar 2011 at 10:19:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

I downloaded debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso and used it to install Debian
on a usb stick.  All went perfectly until the final question which was
to the effect

Other operating systems and hard drives have been found on this system.
Do you want the mbr written to the first hard drive?

My answer was no, of course.  I wanted the mbr written to the usb stick
and I certainly didn't want to alter the system I was using. So the
installation ended without writing the mbr anywhere.

My distinct recollection is that the installer gives you the opportunity
to install GRUB to a chosen destination if you select 'no'.

<snip>

It's a fact. I have done several d-i's of 6.0 and if you say 'no' to the first question of where to install GRUB, the next screen is 'where do you want to install it?' This is with 'install vga=791'.

Hugo