Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

To try to install Debian 6, I downloaded, as advised on the Debian web site, the Debian 6 netinst iso file, wrote it to a CD, and tried to install Debian 6, using it.

However, the computer on which I tried to install it, did not boot from the CD.

I have previously installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, from a CD, on that computer, without any problem.

Is the Debian 6 netinst iso, not installabe, or, not bootable?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Hello.

Sorry - I should have been more explicit in my problem description, from the responses.

The target computer for the installation, is a Dell Inspiron 580.

I initially tried to install Debian 5, using the install disk from which I installed the Debian that I am currently using on this computer.

When I booted with that CD, it went rabid.

It went into an endless loop, scrolling text on the screen, at a ridiculously fast rate, indefinitiely.

It disabled all interrupts, including the power switch, and the only way that I could stop it, was to pull the power plug from the power socket. Not good for the hardware, but no other option.

So, I used (via installation) a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS cd to re-partition the HDD and install a version of Linux on the system.

The Debian 6 CD that I tried to install, has the file with the following properties:

Name: debian-6.0.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso
Type: raw CD image
Size: 412.1 MB (432142336 bytes)
MIME Type: application/x-cd-image
Modified: Thu 24 Feb 2011 23:05:31 WST
Accessed: Thu 24 Feb 2011 23:14:52 WST

WST is UTC+0800

I assume that the times are the download time and the time that the file was written to the CD.

The file was downloaded using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on another computer (not this one), and the file was written to the CD, using brasero.

When I booted the target computer, with the CD in the optical drive, it was bypassed in the boot process, which went directly to the HDD.

I had previously reconfigured the boot procedure to boot with the removable optical drive first, then the HDD.

That was the boot order used for the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installation process, and that boot order is unchanged.

One thing - the Debian 5 Live CD (I think it was - it was one of the two Debain 5 CD's; either the installable one or the Live one) indicated that the CD/DVD drive was not recognised and it did not include a driver for the drive.

If the Debian 6 CD did not recognise the CD/DVD drive, I expect that an error message, indicating the incompatibility, would have been displayed.

If the Debian 6 CD was not compatible, I expect that an error message indicating this, would have been displayed.

But, the Debian 6 CD, simply did nothing, and the boot process bypassed it.

In trying to find the source of the iso image again, I cannot find it. It was via the debian.org web site

In going to the web page at http://www.debian.org/distrib/ , I find that the netinst iso image has apparently, since my downloading the delinquent image, been split so that the i386 and amd64 components are separated onto separate images and separate downloads and separate installations (which is unfortunate, as I had imagined that the image that I had downloaded would detect the hardware, and recommend which is the appropriate installation - amd64 or i386 (previously discussed in another query that I had raised) - however, whether or not my perception of the autodetection and recommendation applicable to the hardware, was correct, the provision of the image appears to have changed).

So, it appears that I have to start again, and I assume that the iso image that I had downloaded for Debian 6, had been found to be too buggy, and so had been chucked out by Debian, and the replacements completely different, having been split into amd64 and i386 components.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."